A Second Opinion: The Voice of Your Future Doctors (A2O)
Episode #5 - From College Running Back to Black Man in Medicine (Brian Fowler)
Nov 08, 2019
Current M2 and Former College Athletes Brian Fowler tells his story growing up in Upstate NY, his days as a college football player at Central Connecticut State, and how he re-routed his life to become a Black Man in Medicine
- Who is Brian Fowler?
- How did you get to where you are sitting right now?
- Tell us more about your athletic career; when did you start playing? How did you pick football?; and tell us about how it progressed until the end of college
- Both Sports & Medicine involve plenty of commitment, work outside the “arena”, and lots of preparation. Given that, how would you compare and contrast athletics & medicine. Are they pretty similar? Or you find them to be two completely endeavors?
- How did you decide medical school/a career in medicine was for you? What steps did you take the steps to get there?
Defying the Odds - For All Those Who Said We Couldn’t Make It
- Along the way, did you have any naysayers? How did you deal with them? And did you decision to pursue medicine fracture any friendships or relationships?
- What does being a Black Man in Medicine mean to you?
- Let’s say your younger self was in this studio, sitting right now in front of you. What would you say to him? What advice would you give?
- Let’s fast forward 10 years; where can we expect to find Dr. Brian Fowler?
- Where can we follow you? How can we support you?